Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Designs by Alicia P.

PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF.
My name is Alicia Piller, I am 28 years old and I live in Brooklyn, NY (hometown: Chicago)

HOW DID YOU GET STARTED ON YOUR CREATIVE PATH?

I have been making jewelry and crafts/art of all kind since I was maybe...3 years old.  I come from a family of very creative/crafty women.  I remember having my own little table of jewelry to sell at a flea market my mothers would sell at...when I was maybe 5!

WHAT DO YOU CREATE?
I make Couture (suede/beaded jewelry/accessories), Fine art (oil paintings and wall-hangings), and hand-painted clothing.


WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO CREATE?
1st of all I am a serious work-a-holic....I am the kind of person that can sit still without making/working on something!

My jewelry is inspired from nature...organisms...the insides of everything...I have a fascination with how things look inside....with the natural patterns found all over the world from creatures to rocks...etc...
I studied anthropology and painting in college....I love to travel the world and see what amazing patterns/colors/designs, different cultures are creating...for religious purposes...status...etc...I'm a little bit of a nerd.:)
Overall my work is inspired by a million influences all mushed together to create my own world of.."organisms"/sculptures....



HOW HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO MAKE A LIVING BY BEING YOUR AUTHENTIC, CREATIVE SELF?
Absolutely!...I quit my day job (Head designer for a Manhattan based jewelry company 3.5 yrs)....quit almost 2 years ago now....it was scary and still can be...but throught particpating in tons of events, tradeshows, loaning my work to stylist etc...i have been able to continue to grow my business with no need for a second encome...lets just say my parents are happy about that!:)

WHAT NEW PROJECTS ARE YOU WORKING ON? HOW CAN PEOPLE FIND & SUPPORT YOUR WORK?
There are so many things in the works for me now....getting a brand new website together (should be complete by the end of this month), working on taking my couture work to the next level....making a dress/body jewelry pieces for clients and bras!.....&!!!!! one of the most exciting projects is that I will be opening a store in collaboration with Harriets Alter Ego(Harriets by Hikema), in Downtown Brooklyn, in a new green market set to open by August!:)
My work can be purchased a few ways:
 
Online:
1. New website coming soon..
Designs By Alicia P.
www.designsbyaliciap.com
2.http://www.ustrendy.com/store/alicia-p 
3.http://www.etsy.com/shop/Designsbyaliciap?ref=pr_shop

Store info:
Neda (map)
302 Court Street
Brooklyn, NY11231
718-264-NEDA

Nicholas (map)
560 Fulton Street
Brooklyn NY 11217
718-797-4400

MoCADA: Museum of Contemporary African Diasporan Arts (map)
80 Hanson Place
Brooklyn, NY 11217
718-230-0492



Featured in several art + cultural publications such as:
+The Fader Magazine
+Time Out New York
+Luire Magazine
+Clutch Magazine
+H.A.S. Magazine
+MetroMix New York
www.designsbyaliciap.com/press

No comments:

Post a Comment