Wednesday, August 10, 2011

k michele: Designer Tees & Tanks




PLEASE INTRODUCE YOURSELF.
Kwanza Hood-Wingfield, Creative force behind k michele: Designer Tees & Tanks

HOW DID YOU GET STARTED ON YOUR CREATIVE PATH?
It actually started from when I was a child. I've always had a colorful imagination. Always playing dress up or doing something creative whether it be with my clothes, hair, nails, you name it. I was never afraid to be different. After high school, I interned at a public relations company in New York where I would assist in preparing the models' lookbooks, etc. I also styled for a few local artists so I was able to go to different showrooms and boutiques. I was exposed to a lot and that gave me a taste of the industry side. It was always in me to do something relative to fashion but it was only until a few years ago that I started to focus on which direction I wanted to take it.

WHAT DO YOU CREATE?
I customize tee shirts. I take a basic tee or tank and turn it into something DOPE!

WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO CREATE?
Everything! It could be my mood, music, certain images....I also love to people watch.

HOW HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO MAKE A LIVING BY BEING YOUR AUTHENTIC, CREATIVE SELF?
The ultimate goal is to be able to create a brand to where I can totally focus on and can operate on its own. I have a full time job but I have a flexible schedule that allows me to work on my designs and travel when I need to. Since k michele: Designer Tees & Tanks' inception, I've had a tremendous response. My pieces were in a few local boutiques but it was mostly word of mouth. Return customers are who keep the buzz going for me in the streets. It's important to stay relevant, to keep reinventing the wheel. I'm waiting for that "wheredidyougetthatfrom?" opportunity that just takes me to the next level.

WHAT NEW PROJECTS ARE YOU WORKING ON?
I have so much that I want to do in addition to the tees. I've always said that I wanted to work on an accessory line. My options are unrestricted. I really don't like to speak on what my ideas or next moves are until they're actually in existence but I will say that most currently I just happen to be working on the beginning stages of something that I'm really excited about. Everyone will have to keep a close eye on my next move. Fall is the target for the launch!

For ordering information on the tees, email me at kmicheleonline@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment