Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Life Lessons I've Learned from Heavy D

Hearing that one of the most loved. adored and respected legends of Hip Hop, The Overweight Lova Heavy D, has passed away saddened and shocked me. He's only 9 years my senior. And we just recently saw him moving with the same agility and swiftness as the days long gone on the BET Awards. Listening to a medley of his classic joints on the radio made me reflect on what lesson I have personally learned from Heavy D that I may not have thought of until this tragic turn of events.

  • Heavy D taught me to turn my "so-called" flaws into attributes.
Until Heavy D got on the scene, being "heavy" or overweight was something to scorn and mock. But he made it clear that despite his big frame, he was smarter/swifter/smoother than the rest. I remember even hearing the Notorious BIG state that his larger-than-life persona was inspired by the self-confidence instilled by the example of Heavy. In my own life, working in Corp America as a designer, being a mother was a hinderance. It's important to appear as unattached as possible because you are expected to remain in the office burning the midnight oil often and be abe to be relocated or at the very least, travel to the factories in China at the drop of a dime. I even lost a job because my child, when she was 3, came down with a severe case of the flu and I was out of work for 2 days.
But as a self-employed designer, juggling business and motherhood gracefully is admired and respected, and I am proud to share motherhood adventures publicly. People know I'm not some flight-by-night business, I'm a mommy. I am sincere and earnest. My so-called "flaw" has become a huge attribute.

  •  Heavy D taught me that one man has the power to change many.
Heavy did this song called "Don't Curse" to be an example that pure, good natured music could be cool and not in the least bit corny. He took the best MC's of the era, even Kool G Rap who was known for his raunchiness, and put them all on a single without the ability to use profanity. He could have been laughed at or called wack by these hardcore rappers but he took that chance. It was a BOLD move and not only did he get these MC's to see the importance of setting a good example for the children and showing solidarity, the song was widely accepted and became a huge hit. PS: On the same song, Heavy D graciously introduced the world to an unknown producer, his cousin Pete Rock, who went on the become a legend in his own right. #Support
  • Heavy D taught me to diversify and remain positive to remain relevant.
Rapper, dancer, reggae artist, producer and actor, this man did it all well, stretching and expanding. His career led him to make hits with both Micheal and Janet Jackson! He has a warm, inviting energy that was apparent in all that he did. He never "fell off", he simply changed lanes and kept moving forward. This a a lesson that I cherish the most. Heavy D, you will be missed. I wish you a "Peaceful Journey."

"I love my life only because I always have." ~Heavy D via Twitter (less then 24 hrs before his sudden death)



RIP Heavy D.

1 comment:

  1. I said it last week and I'll say it again, he was the only rapper I knew who was respected by young and old alike. Your mother, dad, grandparents all like Hev. He will definitely be missed. I only wish that VH1 had honored him these past few years during the Hip Hop honors...

    ReplyDelete